Saturday, June 18, 2011

Bowl vinaigrette

My friend Anne used to make a version of this that I loved and always tried to recreate but failed completely. Mine never tasted like the one she would serve. It's like someone elses PBJ that tastes better than anything in the world. So I kept trying while making small changes and tweaks until I created this version.
This is a quick vinaigrette that I make pretty much every day. I like it because it is just enough for the salad I'm making. It can be added to and changed depending on what flavors you want to work with.

2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon herbs de provence
pinch of garlic granules (or a clove of fresh pressed garlic if you want a more intense garlic flavor)
pinch of sea salt
couple grinds of pepper

optional: dijon mustard

Put all of the ingredients into the salad bowl and whisk them together. At this point you can add snipped chives, or another fresh herb. If I am using tomatoes in my salad I will chop them up and let them sit in the vinaigrette while I prepare all of the other salad ingredients. Layer the lettuce and other salad bits on top of the tomatoes and vinaigrette. Toss the salad just before serving.